Monday, December 23, 2013

The Seven Wonders...hilarious

My esteemed brother has just shown me this British series from 2010 called An Idiot Abroad. This links to the one episode I have watched on YouTube. Of course, I was interested as this first episode is about a hilarious dude's brief adventure in China. Specifically, it was filmed in Northern China and traversing the Great Wall, Chinese "traditional" massage and a bit of Shaolin training.

You can read more about the series HERE, at Kate Ellen's blog and also over HERE, at Jerome Wetzel's blog.

It is not often I see a documentation which accurately describes what traveling or living in China is truly like. In other words, this episode does not pull any punches. While showing how ridiculously absurd Beijing is, it still manages to also show the warmhearted nature of Chinese people. I found myself pointing, laughing and raving on to my brother about how true Karl's observations are. Who is Karl? Read below, grasshopper.

The series follows this guy, Karl Pilkington, who is described as a moron. He is not really dumb or anything, he just has a totally different perspective, let us say, a special perspective. Season 1 is all about Karl heading to the Seven Wonders of the world and having an acutely terrible, and absurd, time coping with what he encounters. It was produced by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, who immediately call to mind The Office.

An Idiot Abroad was aired on the British station called Sky 1 and Science. I am certainly digging British TV these days.

P.S.
Thanks Wikipedia for all the help. I am gonna donate, don't 'chu worry 'non.

No comments: